Protect your child from bug bites with our list of the best bug sprays for babies. Bug bites can be quite itchy, painful, and uncomfortable for your child. They may lead to various infectious diseases. However, dressing your child in full sleeves and long pants is not enough to keep the creepy-crawlies out. You need an effective bug spray to prevent bugs from biting your child. So, read on to learn more about their use and safety precautions to make an informed decision.
10 Best Bug Sprays For Babies
1. Cutter bug Lemon Repellent Bug Spray
Cutter bug offers a bug spray that is DEET-free and includes natural ingredients like eucalyptus and lemon. This product comes with two wipes for easy wiping of spills and messes. This bug spray lasts for about six hours, once applied.
- Fresh, clear scent of lemon and eucalyptus
- No oily and greasy feeling
- Comes in user-friendly bottle
2. Repel Plant Based Insect Repellent Spray
This plant-based insect repellent provides protection against bugs and insects during outdoor activities. It creates a barrier between you and diseases like chikungunya and dengue-causing insects.
- Made with oil of eucalyptus and lemon
- Lasts up to six hours
- Cool and refreshing fragrance
- Chemical and DEET free
- Offers non-greasy and non-sticky skin
- Liquid does not come out in a single spray
3. Avon SKIN-SO-SOFT Bug Guard PLUS IR3535
It is made with natural ingredients like aloe and vitamin E. This product also includes SPF 30 sunscreen. It is available in 4 oz. pack, and is ideal for the entire family.
- Suitable for babies and adults
- Helps prevent sunburn
- Repels insects and mosquitoes
- Non-greasy and PABA-free
- Keeps skin soft and smooth
- The texture of the lotion is not smooth
- Might smell like grease
4. Balm Baby Spray That Bottom
Baby balm makes a good choice for bug bites, diaper rash, itchy cradle cap, eczema, minor rashes, and sunburn. The spray comes in 4oz recycled aluminum container with a spray nozzle.
- Contains virgin olive oil, witch hazel, chamomile and rosemary
- Organic and natural vegan product
- GMO and cruelty-Free
5. Babyganics Bug Spray
This natural DEET free insect repellent has the power of natural essential aromatic oils such as peppermint, citronella, lemongrass, rosemary, and geranium. It helps keep babies safe from insects, especially mosquitoes.
- Does not contain sulfates and parabens
- Non-greasy formula
- Easy to apply and dries quickly
- A bit oily and hence gets on your clothes
- Does not smell great
6. Bug Soother Spray
Bug Soother Spray is safe for kids and also for pets, adults, and the environment. It repels gnats, sand flies, black flies, fruit flies, fleas, and mosquitoes. Made with simple, skin-loving ingredients, this spray is devoid of any harsh chemicals or toxic ingredients.
- Ideal for outdoor activities
- Formulated with glycerin, castor oil and vitamin E
- Non-greasy product
- Smells like a lemon cake
- May need to apply too often
7. Sky Organics Organic Bug Spray
It is an organic bug spray that is made with responsibly sourced ingredients. It is made from natural ingredients like lemongrass, citronella, and lavender essential oils.
- DEET and alcohol-free
- Vegan and cruelty-free product
- USDA certified organic
- Made with plant-based ingredients
- Strong scent hence not ideal for babies who are sensitive to smell
8. Quantum Health Buzz Away Extreme
Quantum Health Buzz Away Extreme is the insect repellent you should rely on. Available in two, four, and eight-ounce sizes, this spray is DEET-free and thus safe for your kids. This product is travel-friendly and must-have for camping, weekend trips, and other outdoor travels.
- Formulated with geranium, citronella, cedarwood, lemongrass, and peppermint
- Contains essential oils and plant-based preservatives
- Devoid of any toxins, harsh chemicals, or artificial preservatives
- Smells strong and not pleasant
9. AloBaby Outdoor Spray
It is manufactured from naturally derived ingredients that are gentle to sensitive skin. It is ideal for use on baby skin that is sensitive to irritation.
- Protects baby and adult from bugs and mosquitoes
- Formulated with natural ingredients
- Gentle fragrance and available in easy to use a spray bottle
- A bit overpriced
- Some babies may not like the smell
10. Harris Swamp Gnat Deet – Free Mosquito and Insect Repellent
Harris Swamp Gnat Deet-Free Mosquito and Insect Repellent is made from natural ingredients like soybean, rosemary, geraniol, and lemongrass. The six-ounce bottle lasts for several uses and can be applied to the skin directly.
- Pesticide and DEET free
- The spray feels fresh and light on the skin
- Resistant to sweat
- Offers a mild lemongrass scent
- Cannot repel all types of bugs
Is Bug Spray Safe For Babies?
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) suggests against using products with a DEET concentration of more than 30% on children. It is also against using repellent for infants younger than two months.
You may try a natural insect repellent but read the label first to ensure it is safe to use on babies. Remember that natural repellents usually do not last long as chemical repellents, so you might need to reapply frequently.
Precautions To Take While Using Bug Spray For Babies
- Do not spray insect repellent onto your baby’s face directly. Spray a little on your hands and then rub it on your baby’s face.
- Do not spray on the mouth and eyes.
- Do not spray insect repellent on irritated skin, wounds, or cuts.
- Do not use under the clothing.
- Wash the treated clothing before wearing it again.
Types Of Bug Repellents
Bug repellents are usually classified into the following types.
- Sprays: Sprays are easy to apply on the skin. DEET is the repellent used in most of the sprays which repel mosquitoes, flies and ticks. If your baby is sensitive to DEET, then you can pick a spray with ingredient IR 3535, which is considered natural.
- Lotions and wipes: Repellents in the form of lotions or creams can be massaged on the skin. Some come in a throwaway wipe that can be rubbed on the skin and then discarded. A few repellents are available as lotions with sunscreen protection.
How To Choose The Right Bug Spray For Babies?
Here are some tips that you should keep in mind while you are searching for a bug spray for your baby.
- Search for a spray that has a low concentration of DEET. Refrain from using the product, which has more than 30% concentration of DEET.
- Search for a bug spray, which has a long-lasting effect. Do not purchase a spray that you have to reapply after every hour.
- Choose a bug spray that offers a nice fragrance.
Make sure you read the instructions of use mentioned on the label and also the components of the spray. If a bug repellent irritates your baby’s skin or causes redness and rashes, then stop using it immediately. Picking the right bug spray can protect against insects while also causing no harm to the little one’s delicate skin.
Why Trust us?
This article lists the best bug sprays for babies available in the market. We have created this list after going through several websites and customer reviews. To make the post more informative and useful, we have described the pros and cons of each recommended product and provided some facts related to the safety of using bug sprays for children. Also, we have provided some precaution tips and a buying guide to explain the right way of choosing and using bug sprays.